4.17.2009

Coconut Oil and Agave Nectar

Some of the recipes I've posted call for agave nectar, which isn't a common ingredient so I thought I would post a little bit about it.

The following is from www.allaboutagave.com :spacer
Agave nectar is an all natural sweetener made from the agave cactus. Due to increasing awareness of agave nectar's many beneficial properties, it is becoming the preferred sweetener of health conscious consumers, doctors, and natural foods cooks alike.

Agave makes a good substitute for sugar for a variety of reasons. Agave nectar is a real sugar, as opposed to an artificial or non-nutritive sweetener. It has properties similar to many sugars with one important exception: its glycemic index is significantly lower. This makes it a healthier alternative to many processed AND natural sweeteners, including:
  • white granulated sugar
  • brown sugar
  • demerara or turbinado sugar
  • maple sugar crystals
  • dehydrated cane juice
  • date sugar

I first heard of agave when I started working at Young Living, as it is a product we sale. I began experimenting with it and have really liked cooking with it. There isn't much of a taste difference and it's nice to know what I'm eating is a little more healthy :)



I have never personally cooked with coconut oil but I've been hearing a lot about it's benefits. I did a little research and think I will give it a try.

www.coconutoil.com/research.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment